Main Article Content
In this paper, a MEMS-based micro DMFC structure of 1cm2 is proposed. It was fabricated using 3D printing technology. Pt-Sn/C was identified as the novel catalyst in DMFC technology which offers good current density. Pt-Sn/C was synthesized by the microwave-assisted chemical route and the nanoparticle of the same was derived. The MEA with the electrolyzer of Nafion membrane was fabricated with the acting anode medium of Pt-Sn/C and the cathode catalyst of pure Pt. The MEA of 1 cm2 was attached with the DMFC cell and the experimentation was carried out for the methanol of different concentrations. Methanol vapour was allowed for the anodic oxidation at Pt-Sn/C where the air was pumped at the cathodic end for the reduction reaction. The produced current was amplified and the sensor’s minimal detection ability of methanol was tested and results are presented.
How to Cite
2. M.P.Hogarth and T.R.Ralph, ‘Catalysis for low-temperature fuel cells - Part III: Challenges for the direct methanol fuel
cell’, Platinum metals review, (2002), 46, 146-164.
3. T.S.Almeida, L.M.Palma, P.H.Leonello, C.Morais, K.B.Kokoh, A.R.De Andrade, ‘An optimization study of PtSn/C catalysts applied to direct ethanol fuel cell: Effect of the preparation method on the electrocatalytic activity of the catalysts’, Journal
of power source, (2012),215, 53-62.
4. Abhay Kulkarni, Xia Wang, ‘Sensitivity Analysis of Some Key Gas Diffusion Layer Parameters in PEM Fuel Cells, ECS Transactions, (2011),33, 25-37.
5. W.W. Yang, T.S. Zhao, C. Xu, ‘Three-dimensional two-phase mass transport model for direct methanol fuel cell’, Electro-chimica Acta,(2007) 53, 853–862.
6. K.G.Nishanth, P.Sridhar, S.Pitchumani, and A.K.Shukla, ‘A DMFC with Methanol tolerant carbon-supported Pt-Pd alloy cathode’, Journal of The Electrochemical Society,(2011), 158, 871-876.
7. Subramaniam Chittur, K and Muthuraja, S, ‘Design and simulation of methanol sensing devices using DMFC technology’, MRS online proceedings library Archieve, (2015), 1774, 41-50.
8. C.K.Subramaniam, N.Rajalakshmi, K.Ramya and K.S.Dhathathreyan, ‘High-performance gas diffusion electrodes for PEMFC’, Bulletin of Electrochemistry (2000), 16, 350-353.
9. Muthuraja Soundrapandian and Subramaniam Chittur Krishnaswamy, ‘Study of Alcohol sensing devices using DMFC technology’, ECS transactions, (2016),75, 85-94.
10. Hetrick, R. E., Fate, W.A. and Vassel, W.C, ‘Chemical and physical sensors based on oxygen pumping with solid-state elec-trochemical cells’, Sensors and Actuators (1962), B 9, 183- 189.
11. W.J. Yang, H.Y. Wang, Y.B. Kim, “Channel geometry optimization using a 2D fuel cell model and its verification for a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (2014), 9430 9439.
12. Wenpeng Liu, and Chao-Yang Wang, “Three-Dimensional Simulations of Liquid Feed Direct Methanol fuel cell” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, (2007), 154,3, B352-B361.
13. E. U. Ubong, Z. Shi,b and X. Wang, “Three-Dimensional Modeling and Experimental Study of a High-Temperature PBI-Based PEM Fuel Cell”, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, (2009), 156,10,(B1276-B1282).
14. Sanjeev Mukerjee,* Supramaniam Srinivasan,* and Manuel P.Soriaga, “Role of Structural and Electronic Properties of Pt and Pt Alloys on Electrocatalysis of Oxygen reduction”, J.Electrochem. Soc., (1995), 142, No. 5, 1409-1422.
15. Joseph R. Stetter, William R. Penrose, and Sheng Yao “Sensors, Chemical Sensors, Electrochemical Sensors, and ECS”, Jour-nal of The Electrochemical Society,(2003), 150, S11-S16.
16. Chien-Te Hsieh, Yung-Ying Liu Wei-Yu Chen, Yun-Hao Hsieh,” Electrochemical activity and durability of Pt-Sn alloys on carbon-based electrodes prepared by microwave-assisted synthesis”, International journal of hydrogen energy, (2011), 36,15766-15774.
17. Wee JH, Lee KY, Kim SH. Fabrication methods for low-Pt-loading electrocatalysts in proton exchange membrane fuel cell systems. Journal of Power Sources (2007),165, 667-677.
18. Liu Z, Ling XY, Su X, Lee JY. Carbon-supported Pt and Pt-Ru nanoparticles as catalysts for a direct methanol fuel cell. J Phys Chem B (2004),108,8234-8240.
19. Tayal J, Rawat B, Basu S. Bi-metallic and tri-metallic Pt-Sn/C, Pt-Ir/C, Pt-Ir-Sn/C catalysts for electro-oxidation of ethanol in a direct ethanol fuel cell. Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy, (2011),36,14884-14897.
20. Kim HT, Yoo JS, Joh HI, Kim H, Moon SH. Properties of Ptebased electrocatalysts containing selectively deposition Sn as the anode for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells. Int J Hydrogen Energy (2011);3,1606-1612.
21. Chu YH, Shul YG., “Combinatorial investigation of Pt-Ru-Sn alloys as an anode electrocatalyst for direct alcohol fuel cells”. Int J Hydrogen Energy, 2011;35,11261-11270.