Main Article Content
From all over the world, 16 million cases have been reported till now and counting the SARS-CoV-2, a minute 125 microns in diameter, has left an ineradicable impact throughout the globe. With the scarcity of new drugs to overcome this disease, the medical fraternity is in rush to find out repurposed drugs that may be effectual against the novel coronavirus. Recently one of the drugs has gained much emphasis, mainly in India, is an anti-viral drug called favipiravir which was originally designed for influenza. So here in this study, we tried to cover a complete, evidence-based review for favipiravir related to the present pandemic condition to illuminate its role in the COVID-19 management. We have covered pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, its mechanism of action. It works by undergoing phosphoribosylation within the tissue. It shows its antiviral properties. We have covered the role of favipiravir in SARS-COV-2. Ongoing trials in India, Saudi Arabia, Russia, USA has also been discussed along with the adverse effects of the drug, and its dosing regimen.
How to Cite
COVID-19, favipiravir, antiviral drug.
2) Furuta Y, Gowen BB, Takahashi K, Shiraki K, Smee DF, Barnard DL. Favipiravir (T-705), a novel viral RNA polymerase inhibitor. Antivir Res. 2013 Nov; 100:446e454.
3) Toyama Chemicals. Summary of Product Characteristics of Avigan.
4) Madelain V, Nguyen TH, Olivo A, et al. Ebola virus infection: review of the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of drugs considered for testing in human efficacy trials. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016 Aug; 55:907e923. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s40262-015-0364-1.
5) Jin Z, Smith LK, Rajwanshi VK, Kim B, Deval J. The ambiguous base-pairing and high substrate efficiency of T-705 (favipiravir) ribofuranosyl 50 -triphosphate towards influenza A virus polymerase. PloS One. 2013;8, e68347.
6) Baranovich T, Wong SS, Armstrong J, et al. 705 (favipiravir) induces lethal mutagenesis in influenza A H1N1 viruses in vitro. J Virol. 2013; 87:3741e3751.
7) Search of: NCT04392973 - list results - ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Clinicaltrials.gov, [cited 23 July 2020]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results? cond¼&term¼NCT04392973&cntry¼&state¼&city¼&dist¼; 2020.
8) Investigational antiviral study finds faster clinical improvement in patients with COVID-19 [Internet]. Pharmacy Times, [cited 24 July 2020]. Available from: https://www. pharmacytimes.com/news/favipiravir-study-finds-fasterclinical-improvement-in-patients-with-covid-19; 2020.
9) Personal Communication.
10) Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency. Report on the Deliberation Results e Avigan. Japan. Evaluation and Licensing Division, Pharmaceutical and Food Safety Bureau; 2011. Available at: www.pmda.go.jp/files/000210319.pdf. Accessed July , 2020.
11) Kumagai Y, Murakawa Y, Hasunuma T, et al. Lack of effect of favipiravir, a novel antiviral agent, on the QT interval in healthy Japanese adults. Int J Clin Pharm Ther. 2015;53, 866e674.